Monday 11 November 2013

Walking home





"It's only when you leave a room full of talking people you realize how deafeningly loud silence is"

I first noticed my shadow,
watching from the wall,
walking down the dark path,
Judging, dark and tall.

Sometimes you have a good shadow,
looking out like you're a mothers son,
sometimes you have a bad shadow,
I woke up with the wrong one.

I saw my shadow disappear
or at least, from where I could see
but I knew that since it was not there,
it was now stalking behind me.

I was distracted for a moment,
as I walked past an old payphone.
with names etched in the metal,
the phone sat all alone.

A layer of grime lay on its walls
and, probably, within.
I felt the grime all over me,
I felt names etched on my skin.

I felt like the cold metal
and my brain, the lonely phone.
as if right now I had no change,
and all I want is to call home

I crossed the regrettably empty road
and watched the dark grass glisten.
I can still hear the payphone ringing,
making it really hard to listen.

This is where I started to run
and I swear not out of fear,
I just realized how slow I walk
and that I did not want to be here.

I run as if I'm being chased,
or maybe I'm doing the chasing,
all I know is I'm running from something,
that I can't comprehend facing.

I run down the familiar roads
that are silent as a dial tone.
I run through the gate and through the door,
I just wanted to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment